FilKONtario Themed Contest
The purpose of the song contest is to encourage the creation of new filk songs and increase the number of active song writers in the filk community.
2020 Topic: “Back to the Moon”
- Song entries may use any interpretation of the topic.
- The song must have been written since the announcement of the topic at the previous FilKONtario.
- Entries may be performed in person, on a home recording, or performed by someone else (with your permission in writing or e-mail).
- The song (or lyrics if a re-used melody) may not have been released commercially prior to being performed at the convention.
- A printed paper copy of the lyrics must be submitted at the convention.
Entries will be judged by the convention attendees based on criteria below:
- Does the song fit the topic?
- Do the lyrics rhyme, scan, and make the point?
- Is the melody interesting; does it fit the lyrics?
- Does the song work as a whole?
- Are both lyrics and melody original?
- Is this a different take on the contest topic?
There will be a sign-up sheet for available slots at the registration area on Friday evening.
Penguin Award Contest
Every year we run this fun little contest. You get to write a song using some words that our delightful con-chair selects. Here’s a hint, one of the words will be “penguin”!
- Get the list of words for the year, which for 2019 were:
- Write the song, using either an original or previously loved melody
- Perform, or arrange for someone to perform, the song on Sunday.
Penguin Song Contest Rules
- Song must contain all of the following words:
Penguin plus the “words of the year” which you will find above.
- Song must be written at the convention.
- Song must consist of at least 3 verses and a chorus,
to a maximum of 5 verses, or 4 verses and a chorus.
- Song must have some rhyme.
- Verses must consist of from 4 – 6 lines.
Entries to be handed in to Registration by 10 am Sunday morning.
Judging will take place during Penguin Idol on Sunday afternoon.